Monday, June 9, 2008

Eggs

So I've been thinking about eggs lately. They are one of those "brain power" power foods that are suppose to be super good for you. But not all eggs are alike. And some are super expensive. And some have way more in them than others (and what I mean by that is that the chemically eggs have way too much chemicals/antibiotics in them, and the good eggs have a different degree of Omega 3s and Lutein.) So here are some interesting varieties and facts on the eggs out there.

Recommended eggs:
Good Day! Naturals All Natural Eggs
Christopher Eggs
Pilgrim's Pride Eggs Plus
Eggland's Best


Some websites that tell more about eggs:
http://www.texasgrassfedbeef.com/eggs_too_.htm


Some facts about free-range vs. conventional:
They found that, compared to official U.S. Department of Agriculture (USDA) nutrient data for commercial, "conventional" (i.e., from confined hens) eggs, eggs from hens raised on pasture may contain:
• 1/3 less cholesterol
• 1/4 less saturated fat
• 2/3 more vitamin A
• 2 times more omega-3 fatty acids
• 3 times more vitamin E
• 7 times more beta carotene.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/21675726/

http://food.yahoo.com/blog/thegreentable/482/which-eggs-should-you-be-eating


webblog in progress....check back later for more......

update: 5/09

I emailed a few months back the Christopher Egg company and asked where I could purchase their eggs, because I had been looking for them everywhere, and no grocery store carried them. They emailed me back saying that Krogers carried them. I went to 5 different Krogers in Arlington, Fort Worth and Dallas, and emailed them back saying No, Krogers does NOT carry them. Then I emailed the Kroger company and asked them to carry these eggs. I guess the two companies talked to each other because........

Long story short - Krogers now carries them! Hurray! They carry them under their Private Selection brand name. They are around $2.50 a dozen, which is a lot cheaper than most organic-type or natural-type eggs.
Christopher's Eggs are Amazing, and I will probably never buy a different type of egg again. They contain 660mg of Omega 3s PER EGG! Most eggs only contain about 60-130mgs per egg.

Here's the info on Christopher Eggs:
http://www.christophereggs.com/why.php

http://www.christophereggs.com/news2.php

1 comment:

Stockpiling Mom said...

I love eggs and eat two a day! I have been buying cage free/organic for about 3 months. I will be on the lookout for these!

Thanks for stopping by my blog.

Melissa
mjennningsdesigns.blogspot.com
peytonsmomma.blogspot.com